UCAS Extra is a service which is designed to help students who do not receive any offers from any of the five universities they have applied to, or for those students who have decided to change their course after sending off their UCAS form and have declined their offers.
Between February and June after the application cycle you can apply to study another course at any university that still has vacancies through UCAS Extra.
Although UCAS Extra is there as a fall-back, last-resort option, if you can you must apply before January 15th as this gives you the best chance of securing a place on a degree course of your choice (not what’s left over) at your first choice university.
Things to think about:
- You can either apply for the same course at different universities, or go for something very similar
- If you want to change your course completely, you will need to write a new personal statement on your new subject
- You can only make one application to a university at a time, and you have to wait til you hear back before applying to the next one
- There is no limit for the number of times you can apply using Extra, just as long as it is before the closing date in June
- Students who do not receive an offer through UCAS Extra, or choose to not accept any offers, may be able to secure a place in August using UCAS Clearing